Monday, June 17, 2013

New baby meal-Shrimp Linguine

Have you all heard of takethemameal.com or  http://www.mealtrain.com/? If you haven't I totally recommend it next time you have someone in need of a meal! Being an Air Force spouse, I find that between having babies, deployments, and moves,  there is almost always someone in need of a meal! I try to help out whenever possible. Do you have a go-to dish that you give out?

I also try to bring meals that I (obviously) hope they'll really enjoy, that is kid friendly, and because I know how I felt after having a baby, something semi-healthy, or at the very least with a nice vegetable on the side. Here's a meal I regularly give out. I like it because it's different than a lasagna or casserole, but still pretty family friendly. Whenever I make it, I just double up, and it we eat it that night too. I'll generally ask first whether or not the person receiving likes shrimp because often the answer is no, and I'll just leave it out.

Shrimp Linguine:
1 box linguine-cooked to directions
1/2 pound (thawed) shrimp
1/4 cup butter
3 oz cream cheese
1 can chicken broth heated
3-5 cloves garlic chopped
1.5 tablespoons parsley
small bunch of fresh chopped basil
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Over medium heat, melt butter and cream cheese. Add in herbs and garlic. At this point, the cream cheese may be a little lumpy, but it will smoothed out once the broth is added!

Meanwhile, heat chicken broth until hot, then slowly whisk into the cream cheese mixture. Cook until combined. If shrimp is already cooked, then just toss it into the sauce to heat up, otherwise cook in butter.

Toss noodles with parmesan, then add the sauce. It may look a little thin at first, but it will thicken over time!

To go along with the pasta, I made up a salad and made sure to pack some salad dressing along with it.
 yum!

And of course, always give it in dishes you don't need back whenever possible. I once brought a casserole dish to church 8 weeks in a row trying to get it back to it's owner!







No comments:

Post a Comment