Saturday, June 29, 2013

Tortilla Soup


This is my all time favorite soup recipe. I make it all the time, and this recipe has never failed to satisfy my belly.
So delicious and healthy (well, at least if you skip all the extras at the very end). Besides a little chopping, it's pretty easy, and makes a lot.

Ingredients:
1 lg white onion diced
2 chopped fresh jalepenos (seeded)
5 cloves garlic (minced)
2 lg carrots (diced)
2 bell peppers (diced) (I usually do 1 green, 1 red if the red ones aren't too expensive)
Olive oil 
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp. Ground Cumin
1 tsp. Chili Powder
5 (15 oz) cans of chicken broth
1 (14 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 cup red enchilada sauce
Shredded chicken (I use about 3-4 chicken breasts, but you can use as little or as much as you like)
Optional:
1 can hominy (a white corn, found in the Mexican aisle at grocery stores) this really makes the soup stretch and adds more "bulk" to it
1 can black beans drained. My husband hates beans, so this has never made it into mine, but again, this would be a great way to feed more people!
2 celery ribs (diced) Another thing my husband hates, but I like it in there.
 
Toppings:
Tortilla chips
sour cream
Cheddar cheese (shredded)
diced avocado

Sauté onion, jalapenos, garlic, carrots, celery, and green pepper in a small amount of olive oil until tender.

 Blend flour and seasonings into sautéed vegetables until flour is well incorporated.

Add chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, enchilada sauce, hominy and chicken and let simmer for an hour
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment