Thursday, July 18, 2013

Homemade Granola

I've been big on making homemade granola lately. It's an accumulation of wanting to know exactly what's in my food, trying to eat better, and saving a little money. The thing I love most about it is that you can put pretty much anything you want in there. It's like the casserole of baked goods.



Here's my favorite so far:

4 cups Old Fashioned Oats
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup chopped almonds
1 cup ground flax
1 cup coconut flakes
1 cup dried cranberries

Caramel Sauce:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter

Melt ingredients over medium heat until well combined, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes.

**Note! Here's a good place to make it healthier and use honey instead of this caramel sauce. I have a really weird thing against honey so I go this way. (I think it stems from my childhood when I used to get sick a lot and my mom would crush my medicine and mix it in there. Gag...)

If you want to do a honey mix, it would be:
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter
Combine ingredients over medium heat

Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl, and then mix in the caramel sauce (or honey). Grease a 9x13 pan, and gently press the mixture in there evenly.

Cook at 375* for 45 minutes stirring once in the middle.  That's it! So easy! For a more dessert bar, I've thrown in white chocolate chips & cranberries for the grownups, and mini chocolate chips for the kids. Honestly though, it's tasty enough with out that!  What's your favorite granola combo?

Oh, and here's a visual for how much it makes. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment